Jaxon Energy teamed up with Corso Systems to develop a new control and information system for its Jackson, MS hydrotreating plant. Jaxon leveraged Rockwell Automation’s FactoryTalk software suite for robust operator control of the plant and secure remote access to real-time information.
The control system utilized Allen Bradley and Rockwell Automation components, giving Jaxon Energy more power and flexibility than they were able to achieve on DCS systems, at less than half the cost.
FactoryTalk Historian and VantagePoint were used to provide access to historical information, with a custom solution for material reconciliation and LIMS needs fully integrated into Jaxon Energy’s business systems.
Jaxon Energy’s goal was to implement a control system for their new hydrotreating facility in Jackson, MS. The solution had to meet their operational requirements, which included available flexibility to process many different types of raw materials, remote access to the facility from their corporate headquarters, and historical data collection with powerful data analysis tools. All of this needed to be fully-integrated with their corporate business management systems.
Jaxon leveraged Rockwell Automation’s FactoryTalk software suite for robust operator control of the plant and secure remote access to real-time information.
The foundation of the plant’s control system are an Allen Bradley ControlLogix PLC controlling main reactors and burners, a process gas treatment system controlled by an Allen Bradley CompactLogix PLC, and a waste disposal system controlled by an Allen Bradley MicroLogix PLC. FactoryTalk View SE using PlantPAX graphics gives operators an interface to monitor and control the plant, with FactoryTalk ViewPoint providing remote access to the plant from Jaxon’s Reno, NV headquarters.
FactoryTalk Historian combined with FactoryTalk VantagePoint gathers control system data from the process, and displays a comprehensive and contextualized picture of process conditions.
Corso Systems developed a custom solution utilizing Microsoft’s ASP.NET MVC platform. This system was designed to allow operators to track incoming raw material and outgoing finished product shipments, including quality information. Combined with the control system, this provides an end-to-end account of the location and quality of every drop of material in the facility at any given time.
- Plant can be safely operated by both experienced operators and those new to Oil & Gas
- Robust controls using Rockwell PLCs and HMI software
- Total process visibility with trending, analytics, and reporting for upwards of 300 I/O points
- Remote access to system supports operational requirements, enabling management of multiple facilities
- Startup duration and maintenance requirements minimized with up-front engineering and development time
- Robust safety systems
- Completely integrated operations
Oil & Gas
Process Controls, Data Analytics, LIMS System, & Business System Integration
- Allen Bradley ControlLogix
- Allen Bradley CompactLogix
- Allen Bradley MicroLogix
- Allen Bradley Panelview Plus
- Rockwell FactoryTalk View SE
- Rockwell FactoryTalk View ME
- Rockwell PlantPAX
- Rockwell FactoryTalk Historian
- Rockwell FactoryTalk VantagePoint
- Microsoft ASP.NET MVC
- SQL Server
- Reliable Controls
- Complete Process Visibility
- Simplify Operations
- Finished Product Flexibility
- Material Accountability
- Multiple Site Access